Confluence

Confluence
www.commonground.org.uk

Wednesday 18 July 2007

The Grumpiest Woman In Ireland.

Today, I tried to book a campsite at Rosses Point, Co. Sligo. My attempts went like this:

Voice: Hello Greenacre Camping, how can I help you?

Me: Hello. I was wondering if it would be possible to book a pitch for the 8th of August.

Mrs Starkadder: I don't take advance bookings.

Me: So would it be best to phone you when we're planning to arrive, to see...

Mrs. Starkadder: 'Swhat everybody else does.

Me: Right. Are you likely to have availability in early august.

Mrs. Starkadder: Depends on the weather. No way of telling.

Me: Okay. Thanks very much for your time.

Mrs. Starkadder: That's alright, dear.

It was the "that's alright dear" at the end that threw me most of all. She had been so very grumpy, so monotonous, so, to borrow Lindsay's phrase, "monumentally un-bothered" up to that point. And then...? I really can't wait to meet her, you know. She sounds wonderful!

We now have accomodation in Galway, Connemara/Ben Lettery, Inish Bofin, and maybe Sligo. Depending on the weather. It's coming together at last!

This afternoon, I'm off to a "Deep Water Resistance" class. Full of lumoy middle aged women and Tom Jones music. But hats off to the lumpy middle aged women, 'cos it's an intense workout, weighted belts, underwater dunbells and things. I'm going because I haven't really swum very FAR at any point this season, and this is the quickest way I could think of to build strength... (It's also quite good fun. But I never said that.)

Jordan.
xXx

No comments: